Friday, October 10, 2008

Here's A Pretty Good TV Christmas DVD To Get You In The Spirit (A Little Early, Yes), But Can't We All Use Some Cheer About Now?

The DVD is called "Holiday Treats" and has been issued by CBS DVD and Paramount.  I found this at Sam's Club today for a little over seven dollars, and thought it would be a good addition to a Christmas DVD that I have featuring episodes of The Beverly Hillbillies, Jack Benny, Ozzie And Harriet, and Red Skelton. 

That DVD came out a few years ago and I still see it in stores every year.  It is called "Vintage Christmas Classics", and was released by Alpha Video.  They have a web site called www.oldies.com where you can find lots of rare out of date cheap movies and shows as well as more recent titles at eye-popping prices.  I knew nothing about this site until I started writing this article and checked it out.  If you have never been there before (like me) be sure to go and check it out.

However, the main gist of this article is about "Holiday Treats".  The title is appropriate as several of these Christmas episodes I have been hoping to have copies of for a long time.  There are 8 shows featured on this DVD.  In order, they are "I Love Lucy" (12-24-1956), "The Honeymooners" (12-24-1955), "The Andy Griffith Show" (12-19-1960), "The Brady Bunch" (12-19-1969), "Taxi" (12-12-1978), "Family Ties" (12-14-1983), "Frasier" (12-16-1993), and "Wings" (12-21-1990).

They are all great Christmas episodes, with "Frasier" and "Taxi" probably being the two funniest, and "The Brady Bunch" being the most sentimental.  The picture quality is great although I haven't tried it out yet on the large HDTV television.  I have only run through the episodes on the computer so far. 

Of course, since these shows are owned by Paramount and Viacom who are becoming notorious for issuing half seasons of television series at full season prices, and also for refusing to cough up money to pay for the rights to use original music on some shows (most recently changing the music to "My Three Sons"), this DVD collection also has issues.  At least they tell you on the back that the music has been changed.

Well, it turns out that it affected only two series - "Wings" and "Frasier".  And because both episodes are so funny, and since I paid so little for them, I can live with it.

If you see them in the store, pick them up.  It's a great disk for the entire family to sit down and watch.  Great for those who have never seen them and quite nostalgic for those who have. 

Oh yeah, you can also get them at Amazon.com.  Just use my Amazon search engine on the left.  Not only is it fast, but all ad clicks will go to help improve this site.  Maybe one of these days I can afford my own domain name.  Until then, enjoy the video.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin

Get The Official Blog-o-Rama Widget!

Keep up with all the latest info on the blog-o-rama by posting this to your blog or my space page. You can also scroll this widget to go directly to the latest article that you are interested in. Give it a try!

ShareThis