Monday, January 28, 2008

Famous Presidential Campaign Quotes


I thought I would take a break from all of the campaign rhetoric to take a look at some of the famous comments made by past candidates on their way to winning or losing their presidential nomination.

"I will not make age an issue of this campaign. I am not going to exploit for political purposes my opponent's youth and inexperience."
-President Ronald Reagan in 1984

"When I hear your new ideas, I'm reminded of that ad: 'Where's the beef?' "
-Walter Mondale to Gary Hart in a debate in 1984

"America's present need is not heroics but healing, not nostrums but normalcy, not revolution but restoration."
-Warren G. Harding, coining the word normalcy in a 1920 stump speech.

"I leave it to you, my audience: If I were two-faced, would I be wearing this one?"
-Abraham Lincoln in an 1858 debate against Stephen Douglas

"No man will ever bring out of the presidency the reputation, which carries him into it."
-Thomas Jefferson in 1796 to a member of the electoral college

"These polls that the Republican candidate is putting out are like pills designed to lull the voters into sleeping on Election Day. You ought to call them sleeping polls."
-Harry S. Truman in a 1948 speech during his campaign against Thomas Dewey

"I've looked on a lot of women with lust. I've committed adultery in my heart many times."
-Jimmy Carter in a 1976 Playboy magazine interview

“I've read about foreign policy and studied - I know the number of continents .”

Governor George Wallace during his 1968 presidential campaign

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin

Get The Official Blog-o-Rama Widget!

Keep up with all the latest info on the blog-o-rama by posting this to your blog or my space page. You can also scroll this widget to go directly to the latest article that you are interested in. Give it a try!

ShareThis